What does scripture say about the birth of Jesus? There are two infancy narratives — that of Luke and that of Matthew, with the fullest story being that of Luke. There you find the angels and shepherds and the journey to Bethlehem. You also have the Magnificat, the birth of John the Baptist and more.
The Pastor’s Bible Study will focus its attention on Luke 1 and 2 in a four week series. This study begins on Wednesday, November 7, November 14, November 28, and December 5th. All you need to do is bring a bible and join us for the journey.
We meet in the Library from 1:30 to about 3:00 PM.
Outline for Bible study:
Hearing Again the Christmas Story: Wednesday Bible Study
November 7: Birth Announcements (Luke 1:1-38)
- Announcement to Zechariah that his wife, Elizabeth, will have a baby
- Announcement to Mary, that though not yet married, she’ll have a baby
November 14 Prophecy and Praise (Luke 1:39-80)
- Mary’s visit to Elizabeth and her song of praise (Magnficat)
- John’s birth and Zechariah’s word of prophecy and Praise
November 28 Mary Had a Baby (Luke 2:1-20)
- Travel to Bethlehem from Nazareth
- Birth of Jesus in a stable, laid in a manger
- Announcement of birth by the Angels
- Shepherds receive and share the message with Mary
December 5 Dedication Day (Luke 2:21-40)
- Visit to the Temple on 8th Day
- Blessing of Simeon
- Blessing of Anna
- Return to Nazareth – childhood of Jesus